Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Lola and the Boy Next Door

Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2)
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Release Date: September 28th, 2011
My Rating: 5/5

Hey there!

I just finished a wonderful book by Stephanie Perkins. Lola and the Boy Next Door was such a good book. I could not put it down. I finished it in two days and wanted more. It was funny and quirky and just such a great read. It was fast paced and was entertaining the entire time. To my delightful surprise, Anna and Etienne return for cameos in this sequel.

I loved Lola. She was spunky and adorable. She doesn't care what people think of her. I also loved Cricket. Well, I loved his name to begin with, but then I just fell in love with his personality. I obviously hated Max, but who didn't? Lola's parents are hilarious and I wish I knew them in person. They remind me of the couple from Modern Family. Overall, this was a great group of characters and I am very pleased.

This book was 100% contemporary. It was short, sweet, and focused on the love interest. I loved every minute of it. This is exactly the type of book I needed to pull me out of a reading slump, and I am going to recommend it to anyone who needs a cutesy book to brighten their day.

Spoilers below the picture, so for those of you clicking out, see you next time!


**SPOILERS**

Here we go. 

I loved loved loved loved loved Cricket. And when he made the bridge between their rooms?!? I wish I had a cute neighbor guy like that. He was just so smart and loving. It killed me to read the look on Crickets face every time Max was mentioned. There were some parts where I didn't like Lola very much in those situations.

I was so happy when Lola kicked Max to the curb. I loved how Stephanie Perkins gave Lola time to grieve her breakup. A lot of authors just assume that because a character dumped someone for someone else, they will just skip on their merry way and move on. I like how Perkins kept it real and realized that even though Max was a jerk, there was a part of Lola that loved him. 

I surprisingly liked Norah. Well maybe I didn't like Norah, but I liked her appearances in the book. She added some drama and the scenes with her and Lola were some that stick out in my mind. I loved the scene at the end where Lola and Norah are watching TV and they feel like they are finally getting to know each other. 

I also liked Calliope. I know she was kind of stand-offish, but I just couldn't bring myself to dislike her. I was hoping that they would become friends at the end. My favorite scene of the entire book was when Lola was making Calliope a new outfit. It really brought the novel together for me. 

I can't think of much more to say, but overall I loved this book. I can't wait to read more from Perkins in Isla and the Happily Ever After. 

I recommend this book to anyone that loves a great, romantic, and funny book. 

Until next time, Keep Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment